What is This?
This subject guide links to resources for legal research. Students in a particular course should loook for a guide specifically for that course, e.g., Political Science 418, "Legal Research & Writing."
Reference Desk hours*
Spring Break (Mar 19-27)
Sat-Sun Mar 19-20 CLOSED
M-F Mar 21-25 9am-4:30pm
Sat Mar 26 CLOSED
Sun Mar 27 6-10pm
Spring Semester (Jan 19-May 13)
Sun 1-5, 6-10pm
= Access to licensed resources is restricted to UW-W students, faculty, and staff.
Legal Reference Sources
For legal abbreviations use Bieber's Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations, searchable via LexisNexis Academic - Also available at Andersen Library's 2nd-floor Reference Desk
- (Highly Recommended:) Black's Law Dictionary, searchable via WestlawNext. - Also available in Andersen Library's 2nd-floor Reference Collection. Click Secondary Sources, then look in upper right corner.
- Ballentine's Law Dictionary, 3rd ed., 1969 (and a couple other legal dictionaries), searchable via LexisNexis Academic - Also available in Andersen Library's 3rd-floor Main Collection
- A Dictionary of Law (Oxford Reference Online) - - terminology related to English law
- Duhaime's Law Dictionary
- FindLaw Legal Dictionary
- Nolo's Free Dictionary of Law Terms and Legal Definitions (Nolo.com)
- Oxford Companion to American Law (Oxford Reference Online) -
- Wex (LII, Legal Information Institute, Cornell University)
- Also available in Andersen Library's 2nd-floor Law Collection: Corpus Juris Secundum.
- American Jurisprudence 2d (WestlawNext) -
- American Jurisprudence 2d (LexisNexis Academic) - - Browse topics by going to Content Type Legal Reference and clicking AmJur under "Advanced options."
Directories of Lawyers, Law Firms, Law Schools, & Legal Associations (searchable)
- Chambers & Partners Search for names of lawyers or firms, or browse by area of practice.
- Gale Databases - - Among the databses here is Associations Unlimited.
- Law Schools:Full List A - Z or USA Law Schools By State (Findlaw)
- LexisNexis Law Directory (LexisNexis Academic database) -
- Martindale-Hubbell® Lawyer Locator
- FindLaw Lawyer Directory
- ILRG Legal Forms Archive (Internet Legal Resource Guide)
- Law Practice Forms (The 'Lectric Law Library)
- How to Shepardize (Washington Universitty School of Law)
- Shepard's® (LexisNexis Academic database) -
- Updating and citing information is available for federal and state court cases, law review articles, and attorney general opinions.
- EFF: Legal Guide for Bloggers (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
- Guide to Law Online (Library of Congress)
- How to Research a Legal Problem (American Association of Law Libraries)
- Legal Subjects Index (FindLaw)
- Podcasting Legal Guide (Creative Commons)
- Seminal Supreme Court Cases Regarding Federal Indian Law (Wisconsin Judicare's Indian Law Office)