1. I already have a large collection of citations on an Excel spreadsheet. Can I convert it to an EndNote Web library?
2. Do UWW students and faculty have access to EndNote software for my computer?
Yes. You can purchase the desktop version of EndNote from the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog at a discounted price.
3. What is the difference between EndNote Web, and Endote for my desktop or laptop?
While many users will find EndNote Web along with the Cite While You Write plugin that's available to all UWW students and faculty sufficient for their purposes. However, this comparison chart will highlight the most significant differences.
4. What is the difference between EndNote, EndNote Web, RefWorks and Zotero?
These are all citation managers. See UW Madison's chart showing the differences: RefWorks/EndNote/Zotero Features Comparison
5. What will happen to my account if I leave UW-Whitewater? Will I lose all my work?
6. In the "Account Information" page, I see an expriation date and the instructions that say "Please login from your institution" to reactivate. What if I am a distance student and rarely come to campus?
Log in to EndNote via any Web of Science or Web of Knowledge database. You will be prompted to authenticate your ID, that is, to log in using your UWW Net-ID and password. Click the My EndNote Web link at the top of the page and enter as usual. By doing this, it recognizes you as a current student or staff member of UWW and will update the expiration date of your account. In the future you may return to logging in using the MyEndnoteWeb.com address until prompted that your account is about to expire.
7. Title capitalization is not always correct when I format my bibliography or import a reference. How can I change this automatically?
Currently (2/2012), it is not possible to edit the output styles in EndNote Web to make sure that the Title Capitalization is selected appropriately. You can fix this in the desktop version of EndNote. In the meantime, you will need to manually correct the titles in your EndNote Web reference library before you format a bibliography. You will especially want to verify this if you will be formatting in APA.
Following are the steps to edit the style in the desktop version of EndNote:
1. Open EndNote and go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager.
2. Choose the required style and click on Edit.
3. Under Bibliography, click on Title Capitalization.
4. Choose the necessary option for Title Capitalization.
5. Go to File > Save As and save the style with a new name so that the original style will not be altered.
6. You can reformat your Word document using this style with the help of EndNote CWYW tools.
8. EndNote desktop and EndNote Web syncing issue with Dropbox:
If you are saving your attachment library to Dropbox, pause Dropbox syncing before opening your EndNote desktop version to avoid "corrupted library" and "multiple user" messages.
9. Is there other citation management software available to UWW faculty or students?
Yes! Our colleagues at UW Madison Libraries have documented the correct procedure: http://library.wisc.edu/citation-managers/refworks/transfer.html#endnoteweb
11. The retrieval information for my APA citations is not right (missing DOI or journal homepage)
EndNote Basic/EndNote Online: Aukland University of Technology Library has compiled a useful guide with tips for EndNote and APA.
EndNote Desktop (Full) Version: Replace the APA 6th.ens file in your EndNote styles folder with this one: click here to download. It should substitute what is in the URL field for the DOI if there is nothing in the DOI field, so you need to put the link you want to show up in the URL field. This will only work with EndNote on the desktop, not EndNote online.
12. I've downloaded the correct Cite While You Write plug-ins, but the EndNote tab doesn't show on my MS Word toolbar.
Put a comma after the name of an organization in your EndNote library in order for it to appear correctly in your reference list. For example:
The desktop version provides the function of searching databases from the EndNote interface, but it is only possible for use with free databases such as the Library of Congress and Research@UWW. The database providers do not generally provide individual users at large institutions such as UW-W remote passwords. It is not possible to use this function for subscription databases. If you are prompted for a remote password, conduct your search in the database itself - not in EndNote - to take advantage of the database's search features and to use the database's export function.
16. Why do exports from Google Scholar and databases withouth direct export to EndNote not work when using Safari or Chrome for Mac?
There are known problems with the way Internet Explorer, Chrome and current Safari browsers on a Mac OSX system handle MIME types - files with the .ris extension in this case. This causes problems with the ability to directly export from certain websites into EndNote Online. EndNote recommends using Mozilla Firefox as your browser when trying to do direct export from databases on a Mac. (You can download it from http://www.getfirefox.com)
As an alternative, you can download .ris files from Google Scholar and manually import them from your Mac downloads folder.
17. If you use the desktop version, you can add APA 7th Edition: https://endnote.com/style_download/apa-7th-american-psychological-association-7th-edition/