Reference Desk Hours* (Aug. 31- Sept. 7 2015)
*online chat is always available
Check here for schedule exceptions.
Setting Up Google Scholar
While Google Scholar does not provide the array of search limiters available database users, you may find that you are able to locate that elusive article through a Scholar search.
When do I need these instructions?
If you are working off campus, follow these steps to activate FIND IT at UW Whitewater in Google Scholar. If you are working on campus using UW-W Wi-Fi services, or using UW-W VPN services from off campus, your computer will automatically detect these settings.
Should Google Scholar be the only search tool I use?
Please Note: Google Scholar does not interlink with all UW-W ebooks and articles. We strongly encourage that you search for books, media and more using the library catalog (Research@UWW), or search for specific journal subscriptions using the Journals search. We also recommende that you search individual, subject-specific databases as well as Google Scholar to find the best available sources of information on your topic.
How do I set up Google Scholar to link to UW-Whitewater subscription resources?
1. Go to http//:scholar.google.com
2. Optional: Sign in to your Google account in order to save your preferences for future searches.
3. Select Settings from the menu at the top of the page:
4. Click Library Links at the left of the page:
5. Type UW Whitewater in the search box. A checkbox option for UW-Whitewater will appear below your search. Check the box. You may also wish to search for Open WorldCat and add that to your connections. Don't forget to click Save.
6. You will now see the Find It at UW Whitewater utility when you use Google Scholar:
7. After clicking on Find It at UW-Whitewater, you will be prompted to log in with yor UW-W NetID and Password to gain access to UW-W resources.
8. For some books and resources, the Find It at UW-Whitewater link appears in the More menu below the item:
For additional instructions for using Find It at UW-Whitewater, please see the Find It Tutorial.