General | Agriculture, Fisheries, Wildlife, & Nutrition | Education | Health & Medicine | Scientific & Technical Reports | Transportation Research
International organizations and government agencies may have publications catalogs online; use Agency/Organization Sites to find their home pages.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (U.S. Government Printing Office)
- Bibliographic records for U.S. government agency publications in all formats, with links to Internet publications. Currently most documents since 1976 are included plus some older titles. The government plans to keep adding cataloging records for older materials.
Also available from the U.S. Government Printing Office:
- MetaLib | GPO - "a federated search engine that searches multiple U.S. Federal government databases, retrieving reports, articles, and citations while providing direct links to selected resources available online"
- U.S. Government Bookstore
- browse New Titles added to the CGP (U.S. Government Printing Office)
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports (Penny Hill Press)
- Listings of Congressional Research Service reports, with purchase instructions. Some CRS publications are available online at no cost. The CRS researches all kinds of topics for members of the U.S. Congress.
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Searchable digitized collections from large libraries, which include free full-text viewing of many government documents.
- Library of Congress: Online Catalog | Home
- National Archives: Research Our Records
- Search for holdings in Washington, D.C. and regional archives, as well as Presidential libraries and all web pages on Archives.gov for documents, records, and photos about U.S. history.
- State List (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign)
- This site provides links to state publication checklists and shipping lists that are currently available on the Internet from some states, including Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Digital Archives
Agriculture, Fisheries, Wildlife, & Nutrition
- NAL Catalog (AGRICOLA) (National Agricultural Library)
- AGRICOLA is a database of bibliographic records in two parts: one part provides citations to books, audio-visual materials, etc. (1970 to date), the other part provides journal article citations (1984 to date). It's also possible to search both databases at once.
Health & Medicine
- Health & Medicine (search or browse topics via Science.gov)
- PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- PubMed includes records from MEDLINE, a database of citations to journal articles in biomedical journals, as well as other sources including ebooks, and make include links to full text from PubMed Central and publisher web sites. MEDLINE with full text is available via EBSCOhost for UWW students and faculty/staff.
Scientific & Technical Reports
- NASA Technical Reports Server (since 1962)
- Search for "aerospace-related citations, full-text online documents, and images and videos. The types of information include: conference papers, journal articles, meeting papers, patents, research reports, images, movies, and technical videos – scientific and technical information (STI) created or funded by NASA."
- Publications & Products (U.S. Forestry Service)
- Search for and access digitized copies of articles in scientific journals plus books, conference proceedings, and Forest Service reports.
- SciTech Connect (U.S. Dept. of Energy, since January 1996)
- This site provides access to full-text and bibliographic records of DOE-sponsored research and development reports in physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental cleanup, energy technologies, and other topics.
- Science Tracer Bullets Online (SCTB) (Library of Congress)
- Science Tracer Bullets, also available in Andersen Library's 2nd-floor U.S. Documents collection at LC 33.10:, are research guides to help identify sources of information on science and technology subjects.
- USGS Publications Warehouse
- Search and access digitaized copies of publications from the United States Geological Survey, which provides "impartial information on the health of our ecosystems and environment, the natural hazards that threaten us, the natural resources we rely on, the impacts of climate and land-use change, and the core science systems that help us provide timely, relevant, and useable information."
- National Transportation Safety Board investigations Links to databases and reports are on the left side of the Investigations web page.
- TRID ("an integrated database that combines the records from Transportation Research Board’s Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) Database and the OECD’s Joint Transport Research Centre’s International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) Database. TRID provides access to more than one million records of transportation research worldwide.") It is a component of the National Transportation Library.